40th birthday TR5/250

Greetings to all TR5/250 owners.

Firstly I apologise for the delay in publishing this update. As you are probably aware I live in the Doncaster area and are suffering quite badly as a result of flooding. My self and my wife have already been evacuated once and there is a likelyhood of being evacuated again this weekend as another flood alert has been posted. Fortunately our house has escaped flooding but this next time we may be not so lucky.

Apart from that and 2/3 negatives posted on the forum things are proceeding at a pace so here goes.

The response from our owners has been fantastic and we shall have largest turnout of TR5/250 ever recorded. Included in the line up is CP2 owned by John Sykes of TR Bitz , Alan Grahams development X755, Martin Dearings CP3093 the 3rd last built TR5 now awaiting restoration. This car was owned by Simon Groome ex Blue Peter presenter who I am now trying to have him attend the celebrations. Bernard Metzer with his Jasmine 250 who is travelling over from Germany, also Robert Johnson who owns CP 1176 from New Zealand but unfortunately is not able to bring his car. I am still working on CP3. Nigel & Jeanna Ind the only married couple I know both have TR5s Nigel with CP 2517 and Jeanna with CP 1335 will be in attendance. Alan Graham also knows the whereabouts of 2/3 other development cars and you never know we may have these cars at Malvern.

THE PROGRAMME EVENTS ARE AS FOLLOWS.

There are 2 areas set aside for our cars. The 1st is a large outside enclosure which will be marked out with a banner and baloons. The 2nd is a large indoor area in the last main hall which we shall be sharing with the TR3As.

Owners will be met on arrival by myself or my wife Barbara and will be given a quiz sheet ( do you know your cars ) A prize of a £50.00 voucher will be awarded to the winner kindly donated by Rimmer Bros. Included on this sheet is a voting slip for owners to select their favourite TR5/250.The winnig car will receive a trophy kindly donated by Roger Wyper of Yorkshire TR s. Please note this vote is not for concours entries. Please hand in your quiz / voting slips in to the information desk by 2.oo pm either Saturday/Sunday.

Every entrant will receive a red sticker.

We have our own stand in the main hall which will have a montage of photos etc of owners cars plus memoribilia posted on large placards. If anyone would like to bring photos/memoribilia along please do so and we can display in the main hall. On our stand we will have a birthday cake and various trophies plus a selection of cars including CP2 and CP3093 this car will come as a shock and is not for the faint hearted.

Can I ask owners to listen out for broadcasts over the tannoy system. I will be asking owners to drive to the main arena to have a chat with Steve Redway about their cars. Particulary the 3 newest and the 3 oldest TR5/250 cars plus Nigel & Jeanna Ind.

Gary Bates of TRGB is arranging a vidio show of his TR5 doing twowheelies and also bringing along the car.

In conjunction with Andy Smith we will have a convoy run around the showground of TR5/250 and TR3As headed by TS2 with h/lights on and horns blaring.

One of our owners who has a very much modified car challenges other owners to an exhaust noise contest which will take place in the main arena.

As and when I get more news I will keep you posted.

We do not have many chances or opportunities for so many like minded enthusiasts to meet up and I am sure that we will all have memories of this special event for many years to come.

OOPS!! I nearly forgot we will have 50 special commemorative mugs to give away, First come first served. Form an orderly queue please

Kindest Regards

Peter

Hi Peter

Wish I could be there, only problem with living on the other side of the world !!

We're coming over to the UK next year, only a whole year too late !!

I was interested to see you refer to Martin Dearings CP3093 and your comment that it was the 3rd last TR5 built.

From my readings of Graham Robson's book the last Tr5 built was CP3101, built on the 19th of Sept '68

My car is CP3097, making it I assume the 5th last.

Is Martin's number correct, or should it be CP3098 ?

Just wondering ?

By the way - if you're willing to sell one of the commemorative mugs to a long distance TR5 owner, I'd be happy to pay to at least have a memento of the occasion

Hoep all goes brilliantly - and the water subsides very soon

Cheers

Andy

Hi Peter

Wish I could be there, only problem with living on the other side of the world !!

We're coming over to the UK next year, only a whole year too late !!

I was interested to see you refer to Martin Dearings CP3093 and your comment that it was the 3rd last TR5 built.

From my readings of Graham Robson's book the last Tr5 built was CP3101, built on the 19th of Sept '68

My car is CP3097, making it I assume the 5th last.

Is Martin's number correct, or should it be CP3098 ?

Just wondering ?

By the way - if you're willing to sell one of the commemorative mugs to a long distance TR5 owner, I'd be happy to pay to at least have a memento of the occasion

Hoep all goes brilliantly - and the water subsides very soon

Cheers

Andy

Andy,

Please let me have your email address and I can let you have more info.

Regards

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Peter

Well done for getting so many TR5/250s together for Malvern, not the 100+ you'd hoped for but a good representation nonetheless given the appalling weather conditions.

Just think of how much better our displays would have been if the sun had shone all weekend?! B)

I guess you’ll be taking on the 50th then, as I may have a TR5 by then too, as well as TRK of course! :o

Cheers

Andrew