Leather Gearlever Gaiter

Guest ron

Ron

John Skinner is one of the main suppliers of leather interiors for TR’s, you could try them;

http://www.john-skinner.co.uk/

Weather or not they sell the gear lever gaiter separately I don’t know.

Yes they do, I bought one for my 4a a few months ago. When I bought a console retrim kit.

Part number 040474 vinyl and 040476 for leather.

Colin

Hi Colin - Was the console you retrimmed the 'H' section? If so, did the retrim kit include replacement foam? I'd like to retrim my 'H' section, but I'd like to start from bare metal. Was the work difficult?

Cheers,

John

PS Apologies for the thread hijack...

Hi Colin - Was the console you retrimmed the 'H' section? If so, did the retrim kit include replacement foam? I'd like to retrim my 'H' section, but I'd like to start from bare metal. Was the work difficult?

Cheers,

John

John

I retrimmed my H section a while back with a replacement cover from TR Shop (appox £90) - it includes the foam backing and fitted perfectly. The old trim is easy to remove back to metal using a scaper to remove all the old backing and glue residue. I used duck tape to secure the new one (recommended method by TR Shop) which works extremely well and will make it easy to remove should he need arise.

John

I retrimmed my H section a while back with a replacement cover from TR Shop (appox £90) - it includes the foam backing and fitted perfectly. The old trim is easy to remove back to metal using a scaper to remove all the old backing and glue residue. I used duck tape to secure the new one (recommended method by TR Shop) which works extremely well and will make it easy to remove should he need arise.

DUCK TAPE!! Dont let my trimmer hear that as he would have a fit! I would have thought that with the heat soak up from the box would mean that the glue would give up on the tape.

Stuart.

Shouldn't that be DUCT tape!

I believe there is a brand name of Duck tape. But it is the same thing.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
DUCK TAPE!! Dont let my trimmer hear that as he would have a fit! I would have thought that with the heat soak up from the box would mean that the glue would give up on the tape.

Stuart.

You may scoff, but it works, lasts and makes fitting it an absolute doddle. The replacement cover has 'tabs' which fold round inside the H frame and you simply secure the tab in place with the tape.

Edited by badshead

And just to hijack this thread a bit further, if anyone has an H Frame for a 6 they are willing to sell I'd be interested. Doesn't need to be perfect as I'd recover it. Mine is completely cream crackered (as in broken). Cheers

And just to hijack this thread a bit further, if anyone has an H Frame for a 6 they are willing to sell I'd be interested. Doesn't need to be perfect as I'd recover it. Mine is completely cream crackered (as in broken). Cheers

Bob They can be welded up if you have a local engineering shop that does ally welding.

Stuart.

Cheers,

John

PS Apologies for the thread hijack...

Hi John,

Yes it was the "H" section and it was very straight forward to do, the kit didn't come with the foam, but I used a roll of the thin foam you can get to put under laminate flooring, built it up with multiple layers as required, finished item looks good.

And yes I did use duct or duck tape tho, not to hold the trim kit / foam on, I used contact adhesive and that worked very well.

A previous owner had hacked out the section above the radio for some reason, so I made a new piece in alloy, and that is duct taped and glued in place, it's been there a year now with no probs.

Colin

Hi

Thanks to all who replied, being a tight Scotsman :rolleyes: I bought an offcut of black leather on Ebay and did the same as Scotty, looks great!

Ron

Good man ! No one has ever noticed my home made effort and as I am not into concours couldnt care if they did :lol:

And yes looks great and costs nothing .