On deciding to cure a rattle going through the gearlever I discovered no anti-rattle spring and plunger present.Great a quick fix! On trying to fit a new spring and plunger realise it won't fit as plunger sticks out too far with spring fully compressed.Is there a knack to fitting the lever back or is it just a question of perseverence?

Welcome to the forum jergen’s brother.

There are no special techniques needed to refit the plunger & spring other than a little grease to hold them in place; it should go in easily so don’t force it or you may cause damage. Have you compared the old with the new? The spring should not bind, are you sure you have the correct parts?

To stop the gear lever rattle my need nothing more than a little grease & correct adjustment of the gate screws either side of the gear lever.

Guys

I can confirm that I had the same problem with a replacement plunger spring from **ss. The spring + plunger, on full compression, were too big to fit. I compared with the previous, albeit weakened, spring and found it just over 1 coil longer. Having removed said extra coil the compressed set would fit, just, and all is in place with no rattle.

Replacement spring from this supplier too big?

Regards

Tim

Guys

I can confirm that I had the same problem with a replacement plunger spring from **ss. The spring + plunger, on full compression, were too big to fit. I compared with the previous, albeit weakened, spring and found it just over 1 coil longer. Having removed said extra coil the compressed set would fit, just, and all is in place with no rattle.

Replacement spring from this supplier too big?

Regards

Tim

Same here ...new spring too long ..chopped a coil off and fitted perfectly

Dex

Don't know if the spring and ball are all that necessary, the ball in mine has been stuck at the bottom of the hole since I've owned the car and nothing will persuade it to come out but I don't have any rattles from the gearstick [touch wood!]

Ron