have just aquired hardtop[ for my 6 . because the colour is wrong i thought i might have a go at spraying myself.is it necessary to remove the glass and roof lining or could it be masked off and what paint would be recomended.

have just aquired hardtop[ for my 6 . because the colour is wrong i thought i might have a go at spraying myself.is it necessary to remove the glass and roof lining or could it be masked off and what paint would be recomended.

Hi Boxer,

I am no sprayer but had a quick and cheap paint job done on mine a few years ago, they did not remove the rubbers or glass.

I wasnt worried about it to begin with but the rubbers moved a bit the paint had touched the rubbers in places and then cracked and then you get peeling. Looked a mess, took roof off not used it since.

Would not go down that route again, take the rubbers out, easy job if you careful with a couple of spoon handles. You would get away with masking up the lining.

I am in the process of sorting mine out, this time windows rubbers out , sand blast etc.

Cant comment on recommended paint.

Hope this experience helps,

Guy

One of the tricks, on a quick, cheap respray, used to be to push a piece of string between the rubber lip and the glass, around the circumference of the screen .This would hold the rubber away from the glass and it could then be masked off and paint would get under the lip of the rubber, when spraying, so there was no visible join onto the edge of the rubber.