Skimmimg brake discs

Hi all

Ive been reading past posts and searched on the above topic, but most seem to be leaning towards new discs be it crossdrilled, ventilated etc. Has anyone skimmed their original discs? I'm not sure of current methods in the UK but here in OZ there are companies that skim discs on the car with excellent results and at not a bad price. Alternatively I have access to a lathe and could skim them off the car. The Haynes manual talks about not reducing them by more than 0.060in . But does not give the original thickness. Does anyone know? It also specifies the finish as 32 micron measured circumferentially and 50 micron measured radially. I'm not sure what they mean by this. Are there any toolmakers out there that can help me with that?

Mark

Considering the relatively low cost of new discs, I don’t think it’s worth the effort & as for skimming on the car; as an Engineer it sounds like a total bodge to me! Skimming on a lathe won’t do either; you won’t have a hope in hell of getting an acceptable finish let alone keep the discs parallel, to get an acceptable finish requires a surface grinder.

Many fit uprated brakes & callipers but this is mainly to serve their vanity &, personally, I would rather spend the money on some other goodies! The standard brakes give very good performance for a road car even by today’s standards & should be very good if everything is in good condition & properly set up.

Thanks Richard. Its not a high priority at the moment. the car brakes fine, its just that I was fitting slightly larger steering lock stops and noticed that the inside of one disc was grooved, and that started me thinking, as you do. I will eventually replace with standard discs.

Mark

Mark,

Did you read the recent post here pointed to a site with an article by Caroll Smith on brakes?

He was most doubtful of there be any advantage in skimming.

John

I recently changed my discs for cross drilled with green stuff brake pads and the improvement was significant. I wasn't doing it for any racy reason; just that the car stopped very slowly before. I would not bother with plain discs again, skimmed or not.

Paul

Mark,

Did you read the recent post here pointed to a site with an article by Caroll Smith on brakes?

He was most doubtful of there be any advantage in skimming.

John