TR7 Starting problems

My TR7 starts great *most* of the time, but every now and then I turn the key and all I get is a click. The battery is fine, etc. What I have found that solves this is putting a screwdriver across the terminals on the starter solenoid. Then the car starts great for another bunch of times. Does this mean that I need to replace the starter solenoid?

Thanks in advance to any help you can offer.

-AndrewB

1980 Triumph TR7 DHC

Andrew, no it doesnt mean that you have to replace the soleniod i have had the same annoying problem over the years with my race 8 and replaced the starter and the soleniod several times to no avail, the problem went away when a good part of the wiring loom was replaced, so check the circuit from battery to starter and you will probably find the problem.

Andrew, no it doesnt mean that you have to replace the soleniod i have had the same annoying problem over the years with my race 8 and replaced the starter and the soleniod several times to no avail, the problem went away when a good part of the wiring loom was replaced, so check the circuit from battery to starter and you will probably find the problem.

I had the same problem on one of mine, it turned out to be the engine earth strap! Remove strap, clean to decent metal (not always easy on a 7) and re-affix. I put a blob of vaseline over the body end of the strap once fitted in an attempt to keep the water out.

Cheers

Gary :P