I am in the early stages of restoration of a very sad 1973 TR6 which has been idle for 15 years.

Sadly the original engine and possibly the gearbox have been replaced with a ME series 2000cc motor.

As finding a CR engine will probably be be difficult, I was considering one of the other 2.5 triumph powerplants.

Is there much difference between the basic 2.5 and the CP/CR engines, obviously I accept that cam profile is hotter on the injected engines.

Providing crank/rods and head casting are the same , my option would be to rebuild an engine using genuine CC/CR pistons and cam, and polish and port the head, lightened flywheel and fully balanced.

My target output will be 160/165 BHP using triple webbers/dellorto, extractor manofold and sports system.

Is there any reading matter out there on modifying the triumph 2.5 unit.

On the gearbox side, is there any difference between a genuine TR6 box and a 2.5s box?

Any comments welcome

Thanks

AT

I am in the early stages of restoration of a very sad 1973 TR6 which has been idle for 15 years.

Sadly the original engine and possibly the gearbox have been replaced with a ME series 2000cc motor.

As finding a CR engine will probably be be difficult, I was considering one of the other 2.5 triumph powerplants.

Is there much difference between the basic 2.5 and the CP/CR engines, obviously I accept that cam profile is hotter on the injected engines.

Providing crank/rods and head casting are the same , my option would be to rebuild an engine using genuine CC/CR pistons and cam, and polish and port the head, lightened flywheel and fully balanced.

My target output will be 160/165 BHP using triple webbers/dellorto, extractor manofold and sports system.

Is there any reading matter out there on modifying the triumph 2.5 unit.

On the gearbox side, is there any difference between a genuine TR6 box and a 2.5s box?

Any comments welcome

Thanks

AT

If you can find a CR or CP engine, I would recommend that you keep it to injection standatd.

With all the upgrades available today, and the expertice on the forum, plus malcom at prestige, it will pay dividends at the point of sale and will be comparable in price

Hi AT,

If you are looking for an engine try Carl at TR Trader he is based in Cheshire tel 0161 485 5005.

I know he had 2 or 3 engines a couple of years ago.

For what it is worth I would stay with injection Malcolm at Prestige is very helpful with parts and above all knowledge and of course the knowledge from people on the forum

Cheers Phil

To be honest you can use any of the 2500cc engines (with the possible exception of some of the TR250 engines which have odd port configuration).

The bottom ends were much the same with different camshafts (although the CR cam was, I believe the same as the cam in the USA carburettor TR6s). The different cams are interchangable & you can also add in the after market cams as well.

The heads likewise - USA heads will need skimming to up the compression ratio. The best of the standard heads wasn't a TR one but that fitted to the 2.5S saloon - its standard flow characteristics were considered to be the best of all the heads made.

As for which gives the best performance - the difference between Webbers & Lucas PI is marginal however the cost difference isn't - parts for the injection system can be got quite cheaply particularly if you put together your own Bosch fuel pump. Economy - most Lucas set ups in good fettle are more economical. Twin SU carbs are another option too.

As for the sound - that's very individual - for me the best sounding of all is a bog standard injected TR6 with the original mild steel exhaust - although very few cars are in this form these days.

Edited by andymoltu