Thanks - to the Forum

Guys

The information that can be found on the Forum is, as many of us know, awesome.

Friday afternoon I got a call from the paintshop who had my car back for final detailing after its, as previously recorded here, repaint 'cos it got covered with black acrylic from a burst can. "It's failed the MOT".

Failure point. When new tyres were fitted last summer a balance weight was put on the inner side of the n/s front wheel and it was catching on the anti roll bar drop link on full lock.

First reaction - panic, how can that be? Then a vaigue memory. It's not in any of the manuals but surely I had seen something on the Forum about steering lock stops. Search the Forum and sure enough, on posts about non standard wheels the lock stop was discussed.

Trip to the paintshop at 7.30am Saturday. MOT tester totally correct. But I now had knowledge. Removed lockstop, oh s**t, previous owner has not fitted the eccentric original, it's a round one. No panic, a few turns of reinforced tape around the lock stop and the fouling has stoped (somebody on the Forum had mentioned increasing the size a la turning the eccentric one). A bit of gunge over it to hide the evidence.

MOT retest at 8.30am all ok. Car collected later and it looks great.

Yes, I have already ordered a pair of eccentric lock stops and they will be fitted ASAP. But many thanks to all of you on the Forum. Without this knowledge database I would have been stumped.

Many thanks

Kind Regards

Tim

Edited by TIMS