Heat and sound insulation?

I am nearly at the stage of fitting the carpets into my TR3a. I have a complete carpet set that came with underfelt and my question is, should I be using anything else in some areas, e.g. on the transmission tunnel? I am thinking about one of these self adhesive & reflective products like Dynaliner.

Has anyone else used something like this and will it make a noticeable difference to what is likely to be a pretty noisy car?

Rgds Ian

Ian

Last weekend I put some of this Moss foil faced heat shield down as, when hot, the trans tunnel and handbrake would burn my leg on a long run.

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=12963

It had been sitting in the garage for a year so i thought I might as well try it.

On a test run it certainly felt a little cooler, but my car is so noisy that no sound insulation will work.

I don't know if it is the best or even appropriate product, but it was easy to fit in and cut with scissors. A piece under each footwell carpet and a piece draped over the trans tunnel then carpets back in. (i think I used less than half a roll so I can see if it could be folded into a postable shape tomorrow when I open up the garage?)

The only think I am slightly nervous of is that being non absorbent, it could actually trap water between itself and the floor and thus lead to rusting (whereas at least a soggy carpet evaporates water away when warm enough).

Otherwise also keen to see what others suggest.

On the same topic, I need an alternative sound deadening pad for my hardtop roof.

I used the following from Woolies

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-985-sound-and-vibration-damping-sheet.aspx

However, sitting in the heat at Brooklands, the adhesive backing gave way drooping the foam underliner with it (fortunately the vinyl lining hadn't gone in). I don't know whether to try the same again but this time use woolies heat resistant contact adhesive, of which I have two tins due to an order error, or try another option, say a bitumen paint or ?????

Answers for Ian first pl' then me !!!

Edited by McMuttley

Ian

I have installed Dynamat heat and sound insulation to the floor pans, firewalls and transmission tunnels in both My TR6 and TR4. I also did the doors on the 6

It works

Quieter, cooler (important in sub tropical Queensland),

I think its worth the £100 it cost for each car

Buy it on eBay in the 9 sheet pack - enough for whole car with 1 sheet to spare

Graze

Edited by Graze