TS2 Round Britain Relay 2022
To celebrate over five decades of uniting Triumph TR sports car enthusiasts, the TR Register has announced that TS2, the Club’s promotional vehicle and the first right-hand-drive production TR2 built, will undertake a Round Britain Relay Run in 2022. The aim is to visit every one of the 53 local groups of the TR Register Car Club in the UK. Along the way, each group will be laying on events, activities and other promotional opportunities that our members and the public can enjoy.
Read the first instalment of TS2s visit to the South and South-Eastern region. (excerpt from TR Action Magazine)
10 things you should know about TS2:
1. TS2 refers to the chassis number of this Triumph TR2 and thus reveals that it was one of the earliest examples ever built.
2. TS2 was hand built at Banner Lane in July 1953, before the production line came on stream.
3. TS2 is the first right hand drive example of not just a TR2, but of all TR sports cars.
4. It’s identical sister car TS1 was left-hand drive and went to the US. MVC 575 was built to break the Jabbeke production speed record and was also left-hand drive.
5. It promoted the launch of the TR2 at the Dublin Motor Show in the Autumn of 1953.
6. It spent much of its early life in private hands, registered in Ireland and was sold to a Dr Brendan O’Hara. It was used extensively in rallying and club motor sport.
7. It later came into the ownership of Motoring Journalist Keith Read. By now, TS2 was in a poor state and although Keith did much to start the restoration work it sat for many years in his garage.
8. Keith Read donated TS2 to the TR Register who now own the car in trust , the club set about fundraising for its restoration in the late 1990s and relaunched the car with the help of Stirling Moss in 2000 at the NEC Classic Motor Show.
9. Since rebirth the car travelled many thousands of miles in the hands of hundreds of club members to promote the TR marque and the TR Register Car Club. It is available for any TR Register member to use to promote the club.
10. TS2’s greatest achievements include the 2010 Round Britain Reliability Run where it covered 2000 miles in 48 hours non-stop and winning car of the show at Silverstone Classic in 2021.