Got the judders

Hi Guys

Before I head off in the wrong direction (as usual) I would like opinions please...

1972 Pi Original UK still running Lucas pump (and don't particularly want to change)

Revving through the gears I get a juddering above 3,000 rpm all the way up. I say judder but it's like it's hesitating, wants to go, then doesn't, then wants to go, then doesn't, you get the idea. This happens when I'm booting it - that's what the car is for isn't it?

However, if I accelerate slowly it goes all the way with no hesitation or judder.

This is ok but I want to boot it!!!

Am I right in looking at the fuel pump?

Thanks in advance

Rob

Hi Rob, sounds favourite, can you get access to a pressure gauge, to check fuel pressure under real road loading - a lot different to a little bit of revving stationary. It could well be the Lucas pump needs overhauling and taking back to within tolerances, new brushes for the motor, clean up the segments on the armature (commutator sections) and seals, PRV needs to be checked as well ideally. There's details in the Lucas PI Service/Repair Manual.

http://www.lucasinjection.com/Lucas%20Mk2%...%20page%202.htm

http://www.lucasinjection.com/Lucas%20Mk2%...%20and%2028.htm

Despite the bad press that these windscreen wiper motored pumps get, they are up to the job, if maintained within tolerances, and they're easy to work on.

Edited by jonlar

Hi Rob, has the spare pump got U/L seals, it would be worth your while (if not recently serviced) stripping that one, cleaning old grease out and replacing grease, seals and checking tolerances before installing, if it isn't lubed properly, it could die very quickly.

Hmmnnn, good thinking!!!

That had never crossed my mind. I was just going to wack the spare in and see what condition it was in - it came with the car so I've no idea.

I might just spend a little more time than planned in doing some pre-checks :lol:

Thanks Jonlar

Regards

Rob