Diff whine (I think)

Having just put new bearings on my diff I now have a whine when I come off the throttle. I do not have the whine or any clunking on acceleration, just when I come of the power. Is this whine caused by the diff to pinion backlash or something else?

Cheers Simon :rolleyes:

Did you set the bearing preload? If that is correct then most likely the mesh of crownwheel to pinion is wrong.

Did you set the bearing preload? If that is correct then most likely the mesh of crownwheel to pinion is wrong.

Preload? The manual formula refers to runout as measurement A and diff fore and aft as measurement B, not too sure on what you refer to as bearing preload? Sorry to be a tad thick?

Cheers Simon

I may well be wrong with your axle, but on two Fords and a Toyota pick-up axles in that I have done the pinion bearings have to be preloaded- forced towards each other a set amount. The side bearings also. Both of these axles are Timken , or banjo style axles. Have you searched the net for rebuilding a diff? I also bought an old pinion bearing preload tool to measure it. From memory the pinion on the Toyota was 15 inch/pounds NOT 15 foot/pounds that most normal torque wrenches read. The meshing has to be right to avoid a noise in the diff and this goes to pot if the bearings are not preloaded.

Someone will tell me that none of the above applies to the TR7 !