I've started the restoration!

Hi all,

I’ve announced it a few times in the past, but last Saturday I’ve started the restoration of my TR. And is was memorable. I posted a ‘wanted’ ad on a Dutch site called Marktplaats (‘marketplace’, over here more popular than eBay, I think), asking for a g’box with A type or J type overdrive (I know, I know, I’ve read the forum).

One person responded and I went to see him yesterday, 25 miles from my home town. And what a surprise! The guy opened a barn near his house and showed me his collection of cars. At least 50 or 60 classics!! Nearly all covered with dust, some of them hadn’t been moved for over 25 years!

Mostly TRs (all models), several MGs, Singer, AH, Land Rovers / Minerva, Lotus (original Super Seven), 5 Jags and a few Mercs. I couldn’t believe my eyes. The purpose of this collection: “Just tinkering, some driving, that’s all.”

Anyway, he sold me a TR6 J type ‘box, together with some small stuff. “And just give me a call when you need something else.” How’s that for a start!

Today I began to remove the upholstery. Carefully, that is, I need the old ones item as a pattern for the new upholstery. When I pulled the vinyl, there was evidence of accident repair (bondo, a lot of it), but no signs of serious rust. Not even at the bottom behind the b-post.

Regards,

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij

Hi Menno,

I acquired recently a late 59 TR3A and like you, am planning to start in a short term its restoration. I will follow your inputs to the forum with interest.

Jesus

59 TR3A – sebring white

Hi Alec,

Hope you are doing well.

No, unfortunately the outcome of that affair is still uncertain…

I purchased a TR3A from the USA. I did it with the intention of selling it in Spain and making some profit for reconstructing my finances, but I liked it so much, that will try to keep it for myself.

Thank you for your interest.

Best regards.

Jesús