I took my 6 out yesterday for the longest run it has had since I have owned it - just over 200 miles. It drove beautifully. However, after about 80 miles the overdrive started dropping in and out. It had been in for several minutes before it suddenly started doing it. It doesn't appear to be slipping and moved definitely from being either in or out. When overdrive is selected it quickly comes in for a few seconds and then drops in and out once or twice a second. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether the gearbox is under load or what speed the car is going

The steering column switch is OK and the gearbox is filled to the right level.

It is a J type overdrive. Any ideas as to what it might be - and whether mechanical or electrical?

Thanks

Nick

P.S

I apologise if this has appeared twice. I posted last night but it has seemed to have disappeared.

Hi Nick, I would suspect electrical, check wiring to solenoid, via the O/D selector switch (on top plate of gearbox forward of lever) they're only spade and bullet connectors, the other things is the selector (referred to as inhibitor switches - they're not on the 6) switch may need adjusting by being screwed in ½ a turn, there's usually some cards shims under it.

I have had exactly the same problem with the J type overdrive on my 6. On the first long run, the overdrive went intermitent after about 30 miles. Upon reaching my destination, after much fiddling with the visible wiring both to the overdrive relay and the wiring under the dashboard, I traced the problem to the overdrive inhibitor switch. It turned out that on of the copper lucar type contacts on the switch which are riveted to the contacts in the switch body had become loose leading to intermitent overdrive engagement. Bit of a swine to remove and refit the gearbox cover, but a cheap fix, as a new switch was about £7. I only got it all back together again last night!

Hi Nick

I had a similar problem several years ago caused by a dodgy aftermarket column switch, it took me three switches before I got one that was reliable by building one out of the three of them, certainly your problem sounds electrical.

Ron

Thanks for the comments guys. Everyone favours the electircal route which what I thought it must be as the overdrive drops in so easily (before it drops out again!) It's good to know where the inhibitor switches are, even if they are so inaccesible!

Nick

Hi,

I do currently not have the oportunity to drive my TR, but I want to test the soleonid, does it click noticeably (J-type)? Gearbox cover removed, I hardly hear a click when engaging the OD, while the soleonid Lucar connectors have got 12V.

THanks for describing the click

Cheers

Patrick

Hi,

Mine does this every now and again. First thing I check is the bullet connectors that leave the steering column. They fall exactly where I rest my foot! Every now and again I must manage to work them a bit loose and the overdrive cuts in and out! Give them a quick clean and make sure they're secure and then all works for months at a time. Really quick and easy to check. Hope your problem is as straightforward :rolleyes:

Michael.