what size??????

B)-->

QUOTE(jon b @ Jan 26 2007, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i am building a tr7 5ltr v8 for road use and i will also be using it on the drag strip, i was wondering if any one could tell me the wideist wheels i could fit .i have roled the arches back but dont realy want too do anything else ,can any one help?

Hi Jon, I have nibbled my V8's arches to blend on Works arches as sold by Rimmers and the like. My car is rolling on Kelly Superchargers think its S40 (american size roughly around 245mm) they are wrapped round 9" Superslots with no signs of rubbing. Rear springs were well short, shorter than the 1" lower than standard 200lb's now fitted. Ian

Hi Guys,

I have been following this tread with interest but cannot get my head around my simular problem, Senior moment possibly! I have been trying to get a set of modern Wolfrace alloys for the V8, but have hit a brick wall. I will probably have to get them for a MGF but am told by the supplier that they will not fit onto a 7

What exactly do I have to look at to make sure they fit? I have looked at Malcolm’s tech spec and had a brain fade moment (to much Mig fumes and cider perhaps?)

Thanks ;)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, there are a couple of things you have to get right:

1. Bolt pattern (or PCD). This is 3.75 inches (95.25mm) and is a very unusual pattern, so not all wheel manufacturers supply them (although some will drill the bolt pattern to your requirements - e.g. Superlite in Gloucester). MGF wheels have the correct pattern and do fit (I know because I had an MGF & tried the swap to see).

2. Offset (i.e. how far the centre line of the wheel is offset from the axle). Standard is 25mm I believe. Again, MGF wheels are close enough to use.

You can of course change the bolt pattern to get a wider choice of wheels, but then you're into special spacers or fitting SD1 stub axles etc or some other modifications.

If you're using standard offset, the widest wheels you are likely to be able to fit are 6.5 inchers. Any wider than that, you run the risk of fouling the rear wheel arch lip.

I have 15 x 7's with 205/50's - and had to have the rear arches rolled up to fit them in. I note though that Tom (TR7V8) has 195's that fit without this, so that probably shows that the 205's are just that bit too wide on a 7 inch rim. Oddly enough, I had 205/60's on 14 x 6 rims & those fitted without rubbing, so I guess it's a marginal thing around that size.

I think you can find more room by fitting coil-overs at the rear, but that means changing the offset to keep them inside the arches. So if you want to fit bigger than 205's and keep the correct offset I guess you've got to go with coil overs and fit wheel arch flares.

Hope I haven't confused matters any further!!

• 2 weeks later...