voltage regulator

Help please, it would seem that my eletrical problems can be traced back to a faulty voltage regulator. To change this part do I need to remove the fascia or is there another way to get round this. I cleaned up the fuse box terminals and changed the fuse( on the white wire) and the gauges and indicators worked for a while but soon stopped, the wires behind the speedo felt a little warm so i turned everything off. Help I am a novice at this sort of thing!!

The voltage regulator is attached to the speedometer. You only have to remove the speedo to replace the regulator. ;)

The speedo is easily removed from under the dash. Just make sure you disconnect the battery before you go digging around through. Then reach up behind the steering wheel and undo the speedo drive connection in the center of the speedo. Then find the two circular "nuts" that are attached to the two posts that along with some spacer pieces clamps the speedo to the dash. You can see these if you look up with a flashlight and after you have owned a TR6 for a few years you will be able to do this in seconds, blindfolded... There will be a black earth wire connected under one of those nuts. Remember to find that and put it back when you refit.

With the attaching nuts removed and the spacers slid off you will find the speedo can be pulled forward out of the dash for a few inches. Make a note of all the lamps and the voltage stabilizer connections and then remove the speedo to the bench. You can then remove and replace the voltage stabilizer. You may find that the rubber seal that goes between the speedo and the dash has disintegrated so this is a good time to replace that. Also a good opportunity to replace lamps that dim over time.

There is very little harm you can do with this procedure as long as you have shut the power off and take care not to scratch the dash as you remove and insert the speedo.

(edited to reflect the correct name of the voltage stabilizer)

Stan

Edited by foster461
Jo, have you got the correct name, the 'thing' on the back of the speedo is a voltage stabiliser, the voltage regulator is part of the alternator on most Tr6s.

Ron

Good point, the symptoms sound like a failing or failed voltage stabilizer so this might just be a terminology thing..

Stan

after much messing around with wires voltage stableizers and so on it turns out that the brand new 35amp fuse fitted was faulty!!

It looked fine but after talking to a chap at robsport who said get yourself a mini tester and start at the fuse box it turned out to be the damm fuse. Happy now its worked out. The fault occured when i turned on the fan which turned the body of the switch around which made contact with the metal behind the dash. You live and learn!