New Water Pump fitted

I have just removed my old water pump and replaced it with a new replacement pump. :rolleyes:

It seems I did it at the right time too, as the vanes on the old one were really showing signs of deterioration. however, my question is this, although there is no grease nipple fitted, are you supposed to grease it or pack it somehow. At the base I see there is a small hole, for what purpose I know not what.

I await someones answer with trepidation!! <_<

I have just removed my old water pump and replaced it with a new replacement pump. :rolleyes:

It seems I did it at the right time too, as the vanes on the old one were really showing signs of deterioration. however, my question is this, although there is no grease nipple fitted, are you supposed to grease it or pack it somehow. At the base I see there is a small hole, for what purpose I know not what.

I await someones answer with trepidation!! <_<

Richard,

the hole at the base is to let the water out when the pump seal leaks :rolleyes:

Merci bucks for your eplies. I take it then that the unit is sealed for life, until it fails. Don't know if it was a QH as I bought it as part of an emergency kit from David Manners and Co. ( A nice little kit by the way ) I do know it wasn't in a QHbox.

As for Toms' quote re leaving the belt loose(ish) is this right. I always thought you had to have 1/2inch play on the belt.

If you can get an original Unipart pump [they appear occasionally on Ebay] they seem to last quite well, although I have to admit that's from MG experience rather than TRs but they suffer from similar **** spares problems as TRs.

Ron