Inlet Manifold

Happy New Year to one and all

I decided to clean my plugs yesterday, for the first time since i bought the car last June. At the time I carried out a complete service and noted that the original NGK 6ES were very sooty so i fitted 5ES, the idea being that a hotter plug would improve combustion.

Plugs 1 and 2 looked as "Haynes manual" but the others were progressively more sooty the further back I went. It would appear that insufficient air is being drawn in to cope with all six plenums.

My questions are:

Does anyone else have this feature?

Has anyone cured it and how?

I would imagine that an additional flexible hose from the air filter to the rear of the plenum inlet would be the answer.

I await your combined learned replies with interest..........

Thanks in anticipation

Dave

By all means read up on the theories & arguments as Bill says & make your own mind up but, personally, I wouldn’t get too hung up on it. Apparently, even Triumph knew there was an imbalance but chose not to do anything about it; you can spend an awful lot of time (& money) trying to cure something that isn’t really a big problem! I assume your running a standard inlet with a decent/new air filter but are you still running points or have you already switched to electronic?

I don’t know your annual mileage or how hard you drive the car but the PI engine is very intolerant of poorly maintained of badly set up electrics (not that yours are of course!). When my 6 was a 10k annual, daily driver, I found that if I didn’t clean/regap the plugs every 3k miles/3 months & clean/reset the points & timing etc. performance used to drop off remarkably quickly & MPG would also drop into the high teens! I used to renew my plugs every 6k miles & replace all the serviceable/consumable ignition components along with the air filter element every year.

It would appear that Bob Stubbs has already raised the question and is receiving numerous suggestions.

Incidentally regarding the state of tune of my engine;

1971 with unleaded gas flowed head, extractor manifold and original style sports exhaust and electronic ignition

Edited by Dave JRH

Hi Dave

Look at the post dates! Bob Stubs’ thread is very old (2004) & I think Andy probably posted ‘new’ to either make you aware of it or, having re-read it, felt the need to add his latest observation & comment. This is why it’s important that you read back through the archive - all the way back! & then come back with any questions/observations you have!