Legality of Eared Knock-Ons

I've been advised that in "some" European countries (Switzerland was the only one named) the traditional "Eared" knock-ons for wire wheels are illegal, and that hexagonal ones must be fitted. Can anyone confirm this - and let me know whether or not "Eared" knock-ons are legally OK in France in particular.

Thanks in advance,

MALG

Hi Malg,

spoke with an ex-colleague of mine in the French Police and he knows nothing about this particular ruling. It may be the case in Switzerland but not in our knowledge, in France. As a fairly frequent traveller in France, in my TR6 with eared knock-ons, no mention has ever been made any of the authorities I've encountered.

Richard :rolleyes:

Hi Malg

A friend in Germany had to put the hexagonal spinners on for their version of the MOT test, after passing, he put the eared spinners back on! So there are rules out there regarding the spinners.

Regards

Steve

There are several Euro countries where "eared knock on spinners" are forbidden, as mentioned this goes for Germany and also Netherlands. As far as I know the regulations with concern to these kind of restrictions, car built related, are only valid for the cars registered in the specific country. If you travel abroad your car will have to be in accordance with regulations valid in the country of registration and not necessarily with those of the visiting country, or do you fancy to modify your car to LHD when visiting the Continent :blink:

Jean

Edited by jean
  • 2 weeks later...