Engine rebuild problems.

Built my engine using TT1209 lightweight followers from Moss, however I have been dogged by a misfire from cold and spitting back through rearmost Weber choke.

Thought it was possibly just the fact that the carbs had been pretty much bolted on and left-awaiting set up.

Drove the car about 40 miles (to the trim shop) and drove nicely when warm.

Thought we should have a look at the valve clearances and found a sticking follower!

Removed the follower and suspected it was a touch oval, ordered replacement, lubed and popped into the hole-stuck!! Had to employ my trusty rawl plug to wrench it out, removed all the others-it would seem they are all a little tighter than would seem fit.

Have slimmed them down a tiny amount by mounting on an electric drill and polishing with fine emery and they now seem ok.

What's going on? Are the manufacturers oversizing to compensate for wear in the block? Or am I missing a trick somewhere?

Also bear in mind that I have swapped from a standard 125bhp cam to a "fast road" cam, so the followers are probably lifting higher in their tubes than previously, but I still feel a little slighted that we've had to strip the head off for the sake of possibly dodgy parts.

It's so close to being finished, and this sort of thing just winds me up!

All that's left to do is fit the seatbelts (yes not harnesses) and I've changed my mind about not fitting the front bumper-it's going on now, it can allways come off again!!

Ready for Christmas? Who knows?

Anyone else had similiar troubles?

Rob.

I've fitted new followers in a 4 cyl TR engine on several occasions and didn't have this kind of troubleso far.

I think it is unlikely that your new followers are oversize. When fitting the followers, it should be possible to move them up and down and turn easily. Is it possible that the engine oil was degraded and left a resine like

stuff in the bores? Perhaps it's better to hone the bores with emery paper (on a drill) instead of slimming down the cam followers.

Hi Rob,

I recently rebuilt my engine and fitted a fast road cam. Had spitting back through webers.

I was advised that with the fast road cam that you have to open your valve clearances from 10 thou to 22 thou on inlet and 24 on outlet. Solved the problem.

Regards

Phil

Pre rebuild, the tubes were carboned, maybe I should run a small honer down there, shame I can't find it!

Rob.

You can make your own tool : make a longitudinal slit in a small rod, mount this on a hand held drill and slide a strip of emery paper in the rod and wrap it around it.

Built my engine using TT1209 lightweight followers from Moss, however I have been dogged by a misfire from cold and spitting back through rearmost Weber choke.

Thought it was possibly just the fact that the carbs had been pretty much bolted on and left-awaiting set up.

Drove the car about 40 miles (to the trim shop) and drove nicely when warm.

Thought we should have a look at the valve clearances and found a sticking follower!

Removed the follower and suspected it was a touch oval, ordered replacement, lubed and popped into the hole-stuck!! Had to employ my trusty rawl plug to wrench it out, removed all the others-it would seem they are all a little tighter than would seem fit.

Have slimmed them down a tiny amount by mounting on an electric drill and polishing with fine emery and they now seem ok.

What's going on? Are the manufacturers oversizing to compensate for wear in the block? Or am I missing a trick somewhere?

Also bear in mind that I have swapped from a standard 125bhp cam to a "fast road" cam, so the followers are probably lifting higher in their tubes than previously, but I still feel a little slighted that we've had to strip the head off for the sake of possibly dodgy parts.

It's so close to being finished, and this sort of thing just winds me up!

All that's left to do is fit the seatbelts (yes not harnesses) and I've changed my mind about not fitting the front bumper-it's going on now, it can allways come off again!!

Ready for Christmas? Who knows?

Anyone else had similiar troubles?

Rob.

Hi Rob

I fitted TT1205 cam and these followers into a latter 125 TR6 engine. I had same problem with the followers from Moss. I think it's were they have been case harden. I managed to attach them onto a drill and the used some 1200 grit wet and dry with some engine oil. From not being able to fit them into the block they eventually slid free in the engine block. Seam to be ok engine has done over 4k miles. I hope this helps in any way

Cheers

Spiro

It's not just me then!

Nice to know in some ways!

Perhaps Moss should be told.

Rob.

Me to,......... had both 4 and 6 cylinder hardened followers stick recently...told Moss,they were happy to replace both times(even the one I broke while trying to get it out)... seems to me that we have to carefully fettle and size all replacement parts these days........... now where did I put my Dad's whitemetal bearing scraper?!!.......Cheers, Rob

Got mine back together today, polished all the followers and tubes.

The engine feels so much smoother it's amazing!

I thought the coughing and spitting was just the carb set-up, wrong again!

Fitted the boot side boards as well, crappy cardboard ****, looks ok though.

Just seat belts to fit now, then done! Hurrah! :D