Looking for reg number of 1964 TR4, Black with Black interior, sold by Carrs Autos in Croydon Sept/Oct 1964.

Hi all, I recently bought and pulled a TR4 out of a barn where it has lain for almost 40 years. I have the commission number and plate and from that the Heritage Cert which gave me the info in the title above. Commission number is CT/37220-O, black on black with a black surrey and wires. What I dont have is any other documentation for the car and the vendor I bought the car from doesnt know either what the reg number was, I havent been in touch with the DVLA yet but I'm told they cant match the commission (VIN) to a reg, like I say thats what I'm told rather than what I know although the correspondence I have been shown does seem to support that position. 

I'm going to keep trying from the Commission Number end of the string but I'd like to put it out there and see if anyone remembers or maybe has a photo or has seen a photo of a 1964 black on black TR4 with a Surrey, originally sold in Croydon so that maybe I can pull the string from the opposite direction and see if anything comes out of that or coincides with another bit oif info. I know its a long shot but I'd like to save this car and with its original registration if at all possible so no harm in asking :). The car is partially dismantled but in remarkably solid condition, definitley restorable without huge drama. Any assistance much appreciated.

Hi

I think the DVLA put the onus on you to link the commission number (aka VIN) with the registration mark. So you will need to find documentary evidence that shows both things linked - such as an old logbook, maybe MOTs? 

I know this because my car was re-registered in 1984 with the wrong number, and I am currently trying to get the original number re-assigned (which I know), but I don’t have the documentation to prove it. 

good luck

Paul

6 hours ago, PXC said:

Hi

I think the DVLA put the onus on you to link the commission number (aka VIN) with the registration mark. So you will need to find documentary evidence that shows both things linked - such as an old logbook, maybe MOTs? 

I know this because my car was re-registered in 1984 with the wrong number, and I am currently trying to get the original number re-assigned (which I know), but I don’t have the documentation to prove it. 

good luck

Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for the input, I think I might be making headway with this. I’ll post an update when things are clear but I do have a number now albeit still a bit of a story with it! Good luck with yours, at least you do have a reg even if it’s not the one you want.