Vermeer: The Greatest Exhibition (film)

We went to see this film last night, and I would urge you, should it be showing anywhere near you, to grab the opportunity.   It's not a drama, it's a film about the pictures on display at the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, with very helpful explanations and insights form staff of the Museum, and a British art critic.

All tickets to view the paintings have been sold, which means that the place will be packed all day each day - but this film allows one to view each picture clearly and in great detail.

I am not an art buff, but I found this 90 minute show to be insightful and beautiful, and Vermeer's technique for applying paint was truly amazing - no signs of brush marks or layering.

I'm glad to say that our comparatively small theatre in Thame was full to capacity for this show.

Ian Cornish