headlamps on 24/7

:blink:

The DoT recently announced that it thought it was losing the battle against the EU regarding the proposed law changeabout headlamps. The EU want all european countries to adopt driving with headlamps on 24/7.

I understand that this will improve road safety which is definitely a good thing, but my headlamp motors will wear out quicker & the car won't look so good moving in the daylight.

Don't want to advertise 342bhp of TR approaching the rozzers either.

Just wondered what other pop up headlamp drivers thought about this backdoor legislation.

Jo

:blink:

The DoT recently announced that it thought it was losing the battle against the EU regarding the proposed law changeabout headlamps. The EU want all european countries to adopt driving with headlamps on 24/7.

I understand that this will improve road safety which is definitely a good thing, but my headlamp motors will wear out quicker & the car won't look so good moving in the daylight.

Don't want to advertise 342bhp of TR approaching the rozzers either.

Just wondered what other pop up headlamp drivers thought about this backdoor legislation.

Jo

Hello, Jo -

Here in the states, certain late model cars have been produced for several years with "running lights" during the daytime. It was odd at first, but guess we've gotten used to it. If enacted over there, will the law pertain to ALL cars? Must admit, I hadn't thought about the impact to those of us with pop-up lights. Sure would defeat the looks of the cars. It will be interesting to see where this initiative goes.

Mickey

At 1st i thought, yeah it is a good idea but then i realised i have a TR8 !!!! I don't think that the law will make cars have their Dipped beam on in daylight but maybe the side/cruise lights like in Sweden & Switzerland which won't affect us "Pop Up's", plus we could always get some under bumper driving lights ?

I am totally unconvinced by the road safety arguments here. If you look at the current situation where only some vehicles have their lights on then yes they may be more noticeable. However, I firmly believe that this is because there are only a few of them. You notice them because they are unusual. Once everybody has their lights on all the time that effect is immediately lost as all vehicles become the same again.

I also believe that there will be a very negative effect on motorcycle safety. Motorcycles with their lights on stand out because they are unusual and so you notice the lights. Take that away so they are but a single light amongst many lights and suddenly you don't see them again.

So personally I am against the imposition of this. The fact that having to drive my 7's with the lights up all the time would make them look silly (sillier?) is not my major consideration.

Edited by gordon kerr

Currently my driver's side headlamp either won't pop up or bobs up and down constantly. It'd probably be easier for me just to leave them up and disconnect them!

That aside, I can't see any benefit at all to having them on in the daytime. One could even argue that the extra electrical energy required will mean the engine uses more fuel and harms the environment more!

Apart from looking bad on a TR7 it will ruin the aerodynamics and cause extra global warming due to the power required to overcome the disturbed airflow and extra power required to generate the electricity. Perhaps we could get a dispensation for cars with pop up headlights?

Yeah, seems a silly idea to me. I can obviously understand having lights on during the day when it is grey and murky (like I did this morning in fact), but what's the point on a bright summer's day with the sun shining - you'd hardly be able to tell they were on anyway! Just a waste of power.

And, I always thought the best thing about TR7s with the lights up is that generally you only get it in the dark where no-one can see....not exactly elegant, are they?!?! Seems another pointless exercise from the motorist-bashers to me.

Ally