TR6 Fuel Filter

I have a 76 TR6 and just started noticing a fuel smell and can see that fuel has leaked on the ground in the front driver side of my engine.  I took a look under the car where the leak was and it seems like it may be either coming from a joint between a rubber hose and what I think is a fuel filter, or from a connection between the rubber hose and a fuel line.

Can someone please confirm that the picture is in fact a fuel filter and whether it is likely this is the cause of the leak, or do you think it may be leaking from the rubber hose to fuel line connection?  I've just filled the tank, so maybe the pressure from a full tank is causing the leak?

Can I replace this filter while the tank is full without making a huge mess and spilling fuel everywhere?

Any advice is appreciated.  

Thank you!

IMG_9206.jpg

IMG_9205.jpg

Edited by rlaing10
Corrected error

The silver canister is a fuel filter. Do you have a PI car? If so that filter is  working at a very high pressure and I'd relocate it to the suction side of the fuel pump.

You can replace all the rubber hoses and filters, except for hoses immediately connected to the tank by clamping the hoses adjacent to the tank with pinch clamps.

Thanks for your reply, Mike.  I think my first action needs to be replacing this inline fuel filter and installing new rubber hoses to see if the leak stops.  Maybe it has just been caused by aging rubber lines.  If that solves the issue, then it is an easy fix.  Fingers crossed!

May I please clarify... is PI = Petrol Injected?  My car is not Petrol/Fuel Injected - it has dual carbs.

Edited by rlaing10

Yep, PI= petrol injected . Your filter filter should be ok as your car will only have a low pressure lift pump. If you buy new hoses make sure they are suitable for modern fuel blends- this could be the root cause of your problem.

I use Gates Barricade .