Rear Wing to B Post Fit

After too many years of my 6 being off the road, I'm starting on the 'reassembly is the reverse of disassembly' part of the manual.  At the moment I'm making sure the outer panels fit well before shipping to my local painter.  I don't want to be fiddling too much after the panels are painted for fear of damage.

Something that has me scratching my head a bit, is the fitment of the rear wing to the B post.  It doesn't look right but I don't know how it should look.  For background, the car was restored by a previous owner in the early 80's. The main tub is original and in good condition but I suspect the front and rear wings are Heritage panels (or at least not Stanpart).

The wing fits very well from the outside, everything lines up, including the inner flange to the back of the B post.  Great.  However, from the striker plate side of the B Post there is a big gap on the inside of the wing.  There is a flange on the B Post that comes some way into the void but it doesn't touch the wing.  It looks like it might be designed for a rubber filler strip but I can't find one in the parts diagrams.  The previous owner had packed this area with frame sealant and maybe this is the way it should be done?  It just doesn't look right but what have others done?

Any thoughts (or pictures) gratefully received.

Hi

No sealant is used on the front face of Bpost where rear wing wraps around. The spotwelded flange of the b post is visible. Non setting sealant on the rear of the B post where the rear wing bolts up is a good idea to keep the weather out. 
Picture may help. 
Ian

D30D950D-D8F8-4092-98CE-3DED91CAB278.thumb.jpeg.de5121a4ffb6197ebb11d244ce03c067.jpeg

Thanks Ian,

That is exactly what I was talking about, I did wonder if my description was adequate.

Does the B Post flange actually touch the inside of the wing or is there an 'air gap'.  I would say that on mine, there is about a quarter inch gap for most of the height, although it is less at the top.  It's difficult to judge but your flange looks deeper than mine so I wonder if mine has been ground back to remove a rusty edge?

I'm not worried about chasing perfection it just doesn't look right.

16 hours ago, BRINDUS44 said:

If the wing fits well , I’d move on - there will be other challenges!

Ha ha, agreed.

Thanks once again.