Steering rack slack

I have new rubber bushes that hold the rack to the chassis, but notice, even with the u clamps bolted up as tight as possible, the rack can slide very slightly in the rubber mounts, i don't want to install the billet aluminium mounts so I guess I have to shim under the u clamps?

Iso I guess I have to shim under the u clamps?

NO you must not do this! The rubber rack bushes have to be compressed inside the rack mountings; this is supposed to be done with a special tool but it is possible to do it using either mole grips or welding clamps. Compress the bushes until only 3mm is visible beyond the edges of the brackets & tighten the U clamp bolts; do not over tighten the fixings or you will distort the clamp.

Tip - get yourself a manual, you can download it free!

You can compress the bushings using the steering wheel thus:

1. Slacken one of the clamps, leaving the other tight.

2. Have your assistant turn the wheel so as to force the rack toward the tight clamp.

3. Whilst the steering wheel is loaded, apply a locking plier to the slackened rack clamp across its top flange and its mate on the rack, then tighten the rack clamp nuts below.

4. Have the front wheels re-aligned.

This method is very effective, but requires that the tension be maintained both on the steering wheel and the slackened rack clamp, until the nuts are tight. ;)