Noise comes and goes....

Guest TR6Tony

Guest TR6Tony

Hello,

I just had the clutch replaced (clutch kit) including the fork clutch, shaft, taper pin, and at the same time I was told that the flywheel needed to be replaced also.

But now, when the car is running there is noise and when I clutch down the noise goes away...What are the possibilities with this situation....

Also shifting into my gears (1-2-3 is difficult exepect for the 4th gear its fine)...

Any suggestions....Thanks!!

Tony

What sort of noise is it making; squeaking, grating, whirring, banging? Did it make the noise right from the start or was it initially OK & developed later? Unlikely to be the release bearing if it disappears when you depress the clutch. It could be a problem with either the pressure or friction plates – there were some duff B&B friction plates around a few years ago & they reappear from time to time! If it’s sounds nasty, I would avoid running the car as something is clearly not right; I would take the car back to whoever did the clutch job!

Flywheel's don't normally need replacing, it's usually just a case of re-facing & fitting a new starter ring gear!

i don't like to mention it, but the fact that 1,2 and 3 are proving to be difficult to engage and 4 is ok, it might be the layshaft. 4th gear doesn't use the layshaft gear so it tends to be the quietest gear and the easiest to engage if the bearings are starting to go, your symptoms are very similar to mine just before the layshaft bearing collapsed. it is worth investigating. look at tthe thread titled "gearbox woes" and "it never rains but it pours"

When the clutch plate doesn't disengage properly, whatever the reason, the 4th gear frequently remains easily to shift. If the noise disappears when depressing the clutch pedal, it can be the bearing of the input shaft, or the laygear as suggested. When the laygear needle bearings are desintegrating, changing gear is not difficult in most cases I think