Strombergs playing up

Can anyone help?

Whilst at Le Mans Classic I experienced a carb problem....sucking ait through the Moss rubber mounts.. we cobbled together a solution to get home and I stripped off the carbs....whilst stripped down I also removed the exhaust manifold and wrapped it to reduce heat....we suffer from it here in France

Upon putting all back together I find that the engine will only start and run on choke and then at up to 5000 revs......take off the choke and the engine dies. The pistons do not appear to be lifting. I have stripped the carbs and checked for fuel flow which appears to be fine but when back on the car the above symptoms re-appear.

Anyone have any ideas?

Clive

Clive, if the pistons are not lifting then possibly the rubber diaphragms attached to the pistons are split. Remove top covers and check.

Also, following the strip down the needles may be sticking in the jets - can you lift the pistons ok by hand and do they drop with a nice click on the bridge? If not, centre jets as per the manual.

Thanks for the tips.

I had checked out all of them, but I rechecked all the same and rebuilt the carbs once again.

This still left me with an air surge problem...........like most things the answer came when I was not thinking about the problem, this time about 2.00am......I remembered that I had not re-checked the tightness of all the manifold nuts......sure enough one of the bottom nuts holding exhaust and inlet manifolds was not fully tightened. I now have a good idle at approx 800 revs with no surging, and only now need to retune the carbs for full power.