Good Triumph Friendly Garage - North East Area

Hi

I'm having some trouble with my TR7 at the moment and am sick of taking my car back to the same garge (who keeps it for ages and when I get it back I'm not sure what hes done with it anyway!)

Can anyone recommend a good triumph friendly garage in the north east area - I live in Washington so Newcastle, Sunderland or Durham kind of area would be ideal.

If not I'll have to enrol on a mechanics course!!

Hello!!!

Great to find a fellow wedge pilot up here in the sunny North East :)

I haven't quite resorted to taking my '7 to a garage yet, but I might be going to soon - for a tune-up, its tappets adjusting and an MOT, and perhaps a couple of fiddly jobs like fuel sender fixing if I haven't time/can't be bothered to do them myself.

What's up with yours? Maybe we need a northeast TR7 fixer's group! Mine has a leaking head gasket again :angry: aargh!

I'm going to take mine down to Tim Willis at Willow Triumph in Darlington, he did a great job on a friend's Spitfire V8 conversion, and also my bosses' MG Midget which looks a treat now. PM me if you'd like his number...he's knowledgeable about TR7 engines and gave me some great advice to try to fix mine when I spoke to him yesterday.

Good luck!

Ally

Hi Ally

I'm a complete novice when it comes to fixing cars and don't really know where to start, which is why I've been taking it to this garage. The guy in darlington sounds good - would like someone who knows tr7's to have a good look over the car and tell me if anything else is wrong. A north east fixing club sound good aswell though!

I've had problems with temperature and overheating. The thermostat housing has been replaced (after the mechanic screwed a big bolt in the top) and most of the hoses and clips have been replaced leading to the radiator. It seems ok on that front now although not sure what normal running temps are. Its doing about 1/2 most days but got to 3/4 when it was really hot the other day, but this was after driving for a while.

It also needed quite alot of the wiring replaced as things like the horn and petrol gauge didnt work properly, they are now fixed too so I won't run out of petrol again :D although . . . .

Just last night I noticed a hint of petrol outside and after investigating I appear to have a minor fuel leak in two places. One from the pipe just infront of the rear drivers side wheel and the other coming from the middle of the car about level with the fuel tank. Its gone into the garage today to get looked at and hopefully its just a cracked pipe or loose connection :(

I've just filled the car full of fuel aswell although the fuel gauge was acting very strange on the journey home - it wouldn't sit still and kept jumping all over the place!

Ah well fingers crossed for the diagnosis!

Graeme

Just had a call from my mechanic confirming the worst. The tank has gone and hes going to have to remove most of the back end to get it out. Just spent a fortune on a new tank! Ouch! :(

Ah well at least I can get any work on the axle done while its out!

Graeme

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pheritage

Hi, I live in Newcastle (High Heaton) and owned my TR7V8 since 1990 and for the last 10 years I have used R&P Woods for all work I don't like doing myself, including an engine rebuild inc. cam, heads, offy and holly installation & tuning (turmed out that the guy who helped rebuild the engine used to rally a TR7V8).

They have also rebuilt a Ford V6 engine in my old Reliant Scimitar, fixed a stalling problem in my old Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo (as well as fitting a Superchip!), and for the last 2 years have serviced my Nissan 250Z.

As you can tell I trust them with all my vehicles as I have had good experiences and the mechanics are knowledgable. There are always interesting cars in their workshops around the standard work they do and over the years there has been rally cars, other triumphs, american cars etc. I don't have any connection with them but thought it worth letting you know about them.

Cheers.

Paul.

www.triumph-cars.co.uk

• 2 months later...

Northallerton along the A1, www.motoretromycar.co.uk. They do MG's, Scimitars, Triumphs etc. It's low key and they don't sing and shout about what they do but everything they've done for me (Scimitar, TR8, MG, modern cars) has been spot-on and fair priced. Last time I was there they had loads of Scimitar bits and a couple of 'getting-ready-for-racing' projects on the go. B)