TR4A seats- re upholstering

Hi Guys,

Just starting to rebuild my seats. Had the frames sandblasted and powder coated after minor repairs.

Unfortunately my seats came with the original covers removed, which I would have preferred to have removed myself which would have been better to see how they came apart.

Having read Alan T's 2013 excellent article on re upholstering  his seats, albeit in leather, I am using Vinyl seat covers supplied by John Skinner Ltd, I am however a little confused as to where the strong spring across the back of the frame is actually attached to which seat cover, base or back.

Neither of my  original covers seem to have a clear indication of which had a sewn tube into which the spring is fed. Probably cut off by whoever stripped the seats down?  Alan T refers to  the "long spring that hold the bottom of the back cover. This threads through a tube sewn into the cover".

However the John Skinner covers clearly have a tube sewn on the rear of the base seat cover, not the back cover, which probably makes sense to prevent the cover riding forward and hold it down at the rear.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks 

Rich

Hi Guys,

No further action required. I have found a very detailed instruction/guide on how to rebuild TR4A seats on the  US Triumph Experience Forum, 4 downloads. And yes the spring goes in the loop at the back of the base to keep tension there to stop a crack appearing between the base and back when sitting on the seat!.

Rich