diff locating pins

Has anyone replaced the diff locating pins without removing the body .I have read it can be done through the rear floor.I have inspected mine and although they look ok one of the rubber mountings has a gap between itself and where it should be sitting of about a quater of an inch this seems to be causing a bit of a clunk when going into reverse and then back into first

It is possible to replace the pins but you have to cut an access hole in the floor above.

The major problem is you have to measure where the pin should be and try the diff before you fully weld it all up.

I had to strenghen all the mountings whilst I was there and it was not an easy job even with an inspection pit.

When you are totally satisfied everything is in the right place weld it up and leave the floor untill last.

Good luck.

Barry

Boxer, before you destroy the body you will have to make clear if the problem is located within the pins or the rubber mounts. If your diff is HANGING in the pins it might be necessary to just replace the rubber mountings. In the TR garage I visit weekly, they are used to add additional rubber disks between the original mounts and the large lower washers, this gives some additional rigidity to the rear side of the diff and removes any of the vertical play. In many cases the pin thread is too short and does not allow to fully lock up the bushes in the rubber mounts, what will allow the diff to jump. But first you will have to make sure that the pins are still well attached to the cross member :(

You will have to find canvas reinforced rubber mats and cut some circular disks.

Jean

Thanks jean will check that out.Busy at the moment digging pit in garage as i dont trust axle stands etc. hope you are correct will let you know in due course if its worse than i think i can always through myself in my pit

Boxer

Alec is very right, especially if the ground water is high, it seems that holes attract water. You can expect tons of pressure on the walls, a lot of steel mats properly interconnected are required to prevent collapse.

I did read about a case here where a person was smashed to death by a collapsing pit :(

Jean