pancake filters

hi all

just about to change the main air filter box on my yank twin stromberg tr6 to two speeograph pancake filters. i have recently been told that this may cause a few probs in that it may starve the carbs of air and was just wondering if anyone else had ever fitted these and if so have they had any probs.

cheers

kegsie

Kegsie,

it wont starve the engine of air but it will starve it of cold air which is important.

The effect will be normal running and power until the temperature under the bonnett builds when you will feel a noticable drop in power as the engine sucks in hot air which is less dense than cold air causing the mixture to change slightly etc.

The solution is to either leave well alone (providing the current air box still has the flexipipes fitted which duct cold air from the front grill) or as a compromise use a 4" or larger flexi pipe placed to deliver air from the grille to a point near the carbs.

I speak from experience and am just making a plemun chamber with ducting from the grille via a substantial air filter, which will provide a virtually unrestricted supply of cold fresh air.

Hope this helps.

thanks red 6, was a bit worried for a mo hat noone could help, as the original air box no longer has the pipe i may try a fabricate something to allow the cold air, as it seems a shame to have two nice shiny filters sat in my shed

thanks again

kegsie