1960 TR3A seats trim

I am Alessandro and I'm an Italian triumph enthusiast owner. I've recently submitted my restored 1960 TR3A to Italian ASI certification (the italian national vintage cars association).

Unfortunately the inspector told me that, in order to obtain the certification, I have to change the trim of the seats because the stretching vinyle wasn't a standard equipment of my car.

Enclosed you'll find a picture of the interior of my car.

I'll really appreciate if someone will be able to give me some information about this topic!!!!

post-3475-1139607777_thumb.jpg

post-3475-1139607777_thumb.jpg

Hi Alessandro,

at the first page of the Original Triumph book by Bill Piggott there is a picture of Tr3a seats which looks

very similar with the ones you have.

If you want I can sent you some pictures I have, just give me your email address.

Where are you from in Italy ?

regard, Guy

Allesandro - I bought my 1958 TR3A brand new with red "Vinylide" interior. The seats were red vinyl with white piping trim. When I did a total body-off restoration from 1987 to 1990, I couldn't get the original red vinyl because it was no longer available in the original red colour. I was very disapointed. But the technical person where they do interiors suggested that I could have it all in leather. So I paid extra and it was made all in leather. At concours events all over North America, I have never had a judge tell me it was incorrect. But they all told me that they loved it because the colour is correct. See the attachment.

I don't know how a politician can tell you that a car is unsafe because there is more stretch in the seat material than originally !!!!! Is he allowed to touch the material ?

If you can enter your TR in a judged concours event in Italy, and the judges agree that it is OK, maybe that can help. In North America, concours judges are not allowed to touch anywhere on the car. I once saw a judge touching my red leather interior and reminded him of that fact and he replied that he was not touching it to judge it - he was touching it because it was so nice he had never seen "vinyl" as nice as that before. I didn't say a word. And he didn't remove any points for my leather interior.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A, Montreal

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trebor/don3a_big.JPG

Edited by Don Elliott

Dear Alec,

I'll contact Mr Cunnington immediately...thank you for your help!

Hi Alessandro,

Welcome to the TR Register Forum !!

Your seats do not look to be 100% correct trim pattern, but they do look pretty good to me. They should not present any difficulty in the UK, and your TR is an English car. If they are OK here - where the car was built - then they should be fine in Italy. That's my view, anyway . . .

May I suggest that you e-mail the TR Register office, and ask Chris Cunnington (our General Manager) for assistance. You should also e-mail Mike Ellis, the TR2/3 Registrar, who often helps sidescreen members on this Forum. Both Chris and Mike are extremely good guys, and I'm sure they will provide all the help that you need.

Cheers,

Alec

Thank you for your help, my email address is sandrino.vicari@libero.it.

I'll really appreciate if you'll send me some pictures.

(I'm from Cosenza, a town in the south of Italy)

Hi Alessandro,

at the first page of the Original Triumph book by Bill Piggott there is a picture of Tr3a seats which looks

very similar with the ones you have.

If you want I can sent you some pictures I have, just give me your email address.

Where are you from in Italy ?

regard, Guy