I've just changed my engine and fitted a sprint lump I knew it was all going too well till full of confidence I tried to start it. I've got spark and petrol and piddled about with the timing for two nights now and it will not fire up. I took the dissy out with the ignition still switched on and when the body came out it sparked big time on the block.With the points closed the dissy body is live with the points shut it's not. Any ideas before I start kicking things about the garage

andy

Andy

If you think about the dizzy sparking when the points are closed, then this is just the coil being grounded which is just what happens when the dizzy is bolted to the engine but you dont see the points sparking because of the condenser (capacitor) quenching the spark.

I would get a dwell meter and test the spark on plug no1 for static timing against the crank pulley timing marks and then the dwell angle of the points (the length of time the points are closed) to check they are closed long enough.

If you dont have a dwell meter or strobe then a bulb connected across the points and a pair of feeler gauges should be good enough to set static timing.

I got a sprint engine which had stood for 4 years in a field and it started after a few seconds!

Dave :)

Edited by rosey

Dave

I've partially rebuilt the engine that came in bits with no carbs or dizzy and it went well until I fitted the dizzyin what I thought was the right setting with no luck so I then tried 180 degrees out and probably every combination in between apart from standing at the garage door and throwing it up in the air and see where it lands :D it couldn't be any less successful than previous attempts

so any good ideas on where to start next

andy

Andy,

If you get really stuck (or more stuck than you are!!) it might be worth making contact with Brian Kitley of Brian Kitley Triumph, he has a website that you can make contact through

http://www.briankitleytriumphs.co.uk/

He is a nice guy and a genius with sprint engines in particular. He may offer you some advice, he is based in Somerset, don't know if that's handy for you or not?

Regards

Paul

:D Thanks for the advice

I just stuck at it this afternoon after being motivated going to stoneleigh and seeing 3 7's on my way down anyway it fired up and sounds great I'm grinning like a cheshire cat---------till the next problem

ta andy :D