Water pump

Hi all. I am re building my TR7 engine after having it rebored etc. The water pump came out but it left the brass outer casing in the block. I could see no way of removing it with out damaging it. The main pump spindle assembly showed no signs of wear, so I have replaced all seals and bearing. With the pump fitted back in the brass housing and the top cover off, I find that the jack shaft will only turn using a spanner with out to much force but not by hand. Would this be becouse of the new seals ?. I would liked to have taken the brass housing out to replace the seals but I have been told that they were done about 3 years ago.

Mike

Managed to get the brass cage out using a three leg puller, with an old spanner across the bore. A bit of a fiddle but it worked. You can buy a slide hammer to do the business. See main supplier catalogues. I guess it would be sensible to remove the cage and replace the seals-although with only three years use ( probably with low mileage?) there shouldnt be much wear and tear!

I used a replacement seals kit and the pump leaked-wished I had bought a replacement pump in the first place!. New pump worked fine.. I think pump shaft should only turn with some leverage---and not by hand.

Good luck!

Dave

Mike

Managed to get the brass cage out using a three leg puller, with an old spanner across the bore. A bit of a fiddle but it worked. You can buy a slide hammer to do the business. See main supplier catalogues. I guess it would be sensible to remove the cage and replace the seals-although with only three years use ( probably with low mileage?) there shouldnt be much wear and tear!

I used a replacement seals kit and the pump leaked-wished I had bought a replacement pump in the first place!. New pump worked fine.. I think pump shaft should only turn with some leverage---and not by hand.

Good luck!

Dave

Guest dolomiteman

If it still leaks with a repair kit fitted, it means one of three things:

1: You were cak handed in fitting the kit and broke something

2: You didn't check the u/s impellar for flatness; they get ridged

3: You needed to replace the block busn in the engine block

Water will always come out of the slot when its needing attention, its what its for.

• 5 months later...

Hi Dave,

I'm a new owner of a 1980 TR7........where did you purchase your pump, and did you use a factory pump, or non factory. I've been told that one can purchase an AC/Delco for TR7-Saab 99, or that Napa also makes one....any suggestions or thoughts?

Thank you,

Darren

Mike

Good luck!

Dave

Hi Dave,

Did you use a stock TR7 water pump? I have a 1980 TR7......how many impellor blades were on your pump? Thank you for any help.

darrenmotamedy@comcast.net

Mike

Good luck!

Dave

Hi Mike,

Not sure if you recieved my last message, so here's another. Which water pump did you instal? The stock TR7 water pump, or the AC/Delco pump for TR7, or there is also a pump that fits TR7/Saab 99. Where did you purchase your pump, and for what price, etc.

Thank you very much.

darrenmotamedy@comcast.net