Struts

Guest Johnny Blenk

Guest Johnny Blenk
I have loud knocking noises from the front struts of my TR7 V8, which are more noticeable when applying lock at parking speeds. I have stripped down both struts and replaced the inserts (uprated) and all the other key components. The lower suspension arms have uprated bushes and new ball joints. A recon steering rack was fitted to the car around 15k miles ago. I am running out of ideas, but think the noises may be caused by the springs suddenly releasing their tension. Has anyone else had a similar problem and if so what is the solution ?

It's probably caused by the spring slipping on the strut top because the strut top bearing is not working properly, if the rubber has gone at the top of the spring the metal to metal slips instead of the bearing. I have had this on my 7 fairly recently even though i had replaced all the rubers and the bearings, the bearing was too tight on the stut insert causing the whole spring nest to twist.

dave :)

Also, I had that because when the inserts were cahnged to spax, the original top nut (the one that holds the insert into the strut) had been used and had an outer lip that bottoms out before that strut i9nsert is tight. Spax are obviously shorter as the ones supplied go right into the strut and do not alow any movement. :D