Advice please, it leaks in heavy rain

Well

I've taken the capping off and surprise, surprise, no sealant.

Dry as the Sahara on a dry day!

Good news . . . It's very clean and very rust free under there.

. . . Of the 7 holes drilled for the blind rivets holding the cap in place, 5 match the drilling in the replacement capping.

Bad news . . . In the replacement cap, the rivet holes at each end are horribly close to the edge of the screen frame, I think there's enough room, but it's very close.

. . . One of the holes is figure of 8 shaped and too large for the blind rivet, but, I can get at the underside of the hole via the cavity under the sun visor mount, so, easy to fix.

I have extra long rivets as well, so I think this is going to be a reasonably hassle free fix

(Should I be saying things like that?)

post-12772-0-06095400-1454501900_thumb.jpg

To close the thread

Conclusions;

A job I would have no qualms about doing again.

Easier and quicker than I expected, due, I think, to the PO who fitted the previous capping not using any form of sealant and the whole being rust free.

Details;

Took me the equivalent of a full day to get the replacement capping into shape. A lot of time spent twisting and bending, all the time offering up the capping.

In the end, the fit is good.

All but one of the rivet holes lined up and the odd one only needed some fine fettling that took about 40 minutes.

Having sealed and riveted the capping into place, some work with a plastic hammer, to finalise the shape of the edge in places and the job was done.

Thanks to all for the help & advice, especially the pointers to the right sealant

Edited by wjgco