engine paint and alloy cleaner

Hi, I am the proud owner of a 1977 TR7 FHC. The car is in solid condition with no rust. It has been well waxoiled from new, about 6 gallons in total I have been told. I am about to start a major strip down of  my TR7 ready for a complete respray ( Java green). I am also going to remove the engine and gearbox assembly at the same time as I need to remove the head and replace valve stem oil seals. I may also completely strip the engine at the same time. What is the best paint to use on the block. I have been told us 2 pack. Is this ok. Also how do you get the alloy parts to look new again. Looking foward to hearing from you. Mike

You shouldn't use 2 pack at home.

Any decent oil based paint is fine, eg. Japlac etc. My last block was done with Plasti Cote Enamel spray cans from Wilkinsons or Halfords. I'd suggest a good clean & prime of the block first.

Jim

Personally unless they are pretty clean to start with I get them tanked by a Engineering shop, they'll get them far cleaner than you ever can at home.

Or you can have a go with gunk and a high pressure washer. Bottle brushes & hot soapy water help as well. When you finished the final wash off should be with petrol or better cellulose thinners (buy 5 litres of gun wash from a factors) and immediately oil all the machined surfaces otherwise they'll rust. If you've had any machining done then use soap & hot water to start with, the various muck sets solid with solvents. Make sure you clean ALL the oilways thoroughly and blow through with an airline. Before commencing the build make sure all threads are clean & clear and remove any burrs.

Jim