Hi everyone, I have a problem with my metering unit leaking petrol from the control end of the metering unit, which I beleive is due to the failure of the seal between the metering unit and the control unit. I have removed the unit and removed the seal, but I cannot see any split, but intend to change it anyway. When I removed the diaphragm I noticed that the small section of seal that locates on the adjustable shuttle stop was not fixed to the rest of the centre of the diaphragm, is it supposed to be fixed or glued to the centre? if so what type of glue should be used? I cannot find any reference to this small item being a seperate fitting, but I am struggling to find a detailed drawing.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Hi,

Before you go too far in stripping the unit my suggestion would be to consider the option of an exchange unit.

If that seal has gone then the other components in the unit are reaching the end of their life too.

I had to change my metering unit at the International weekend this year. I've put diaphragms and 'o' rings in them in the past but to be honest I found its not worth it when the unit needs calibrating anyway.

I fitted a recon one from Neil Ferguson - Ex Lucas service engineer who re conned them in period. You will not go wrong.

No connection just a very satisfied customer.

Best of all the units from him are £130 exchange. (+ postage). You could do much worse than ring him on 07977001571 or see his advert on Ebay

Hope this helps.

Steve

Hi, from your description I would say your fuel diaphragm is toast, it should be a complete flexible disc of "O" ring type material with a hole in the middle, a small, top hat style, metal disc is firmly pressed into the hole forming a fuel tight seal, one side of the metal disc acts against the moveable shuttle stop, the other, via a spacer, against the fuel cam rollers. No glue is, or should be used for any of the internal seals of the metering unit.

Your best bet would be to contact K Raven Smith for further help.

Cheers Rob

thanks for the replies, unfortunately I have already bought the seals, so I may as well give it a go, just to add to Robs comments, my problem is with the metal disc in the diaphragm, the part the acts against the adjustable shuttle is a small disc which has a slightly larger diameter than the shuttle, this sits in a recess in the centre of the metal disc but is not a tight fit and hence has fallen out, other than this it is exactly as described above, I will try and get a picture.

regards

Steve

Hi Steve, got a complete fuel diaphragm in front of me right now, I see what you mean about the small disc right in the centre, this one is firmly stuck in the middle, never seen one come out, I be inclined to use one of fuel resistant Locktite compounds in this instance and see if it works, otherwise back to Neil Ferguson AKA K.Raven Smith.

Cheers Rob