Hi all out there,

I own a 3A post 60000 with an overdrive problem.

When driving the car recently, it suddenly developed an intermittent misfire. The ignition light flashing on and off. This coincided with the overdrive not working.

The intermittent misfire has now righted itself, but I`m left with no overdrive on 2, 3 & 4 gear.

At some stage a yellow indicator light has been fitted which momentarily comes on when overdrive is selected and then goes out. The relay can be heard operating / functioning, but the solenoid does not activate.

The yellow indicator light comes on when the overdrive switch is activated, but now, when 1st gear is engaged and also in the neutral gear position. Exactly opposite to what should be happening. Very strange !!!.

A little while ago I fitted 2 new overdrive switches on the gearbox and rectified a loose connection. I also paid particular attention to all of the connections and wiring in order that I would not have to repeat the gearbox tunnel removal. I have even gone to the extent of cutting a viewing panel in the tunnel next to the switches to facilitate checking the wiring.

Has anyone got any ideas on why this is happening ? and of course how to put it right.

badminchamp04

Hi, welcome to the forum. (have you a name)?

The misfire and Ig light coming on suggests a momentary power failure (zero volts) - a shorted wire that quickly burnt out and allowed normal running.

I think you will need to look at the dash switch, loom and solenoid to see what has happened.

Roger

If you disconnect the solonoid supply and run a run a feed direct from the battery you can see instantly if your solonoid is OK. The fault then lies elsewhere.

As Roger says check the dash switch but as you have recently replaced the interlock switches on the gearbox perhaps one needs adjusting i.e. it is not not switching on. Try short circuiting each switch to see if that is the problem.

Best of luck.