fuel tank to pipe connector;

Hi all,

My fuel tank is beyond repair: rusted and pin holed. I considered an epoxy coating, but I found an address in my home town where they can manufacture a new tank for me (for less money than a new tank from the well-known Triumph part suppliers).

Anyway, there's only one problem: the fuel tank pipe (and vent pipe) are connected to the tank with male pipe nuts. I don't know the thread size(s) of these nuts.

Who can help me out on this one?

FYI: until now everything is standard: the tank, the connectors and the pipe's diameter.

(The new tank is the last hurdle before I can get this TR3A on the road again. It will move under it's own power for the first time in 10 years!)

Guest GDalzell

I had the same problem but since I had my tank made at a stainless steel fabricators in Yorkshire, I used modern thread sizes; M2.5 for the tank sender unit and BSP for the inlet, drain and breather. AS you say, having a tank made is cheaper than using a suplier. I bought three ins 304 stainless steel at a cost of £80 each and they are beautifully made. However, this was a few years ago and the material costs have rocketted. I@m hoping to get mine bakc on the road this year ---hoping.

What material do you intent to use for the pipe fttings?. I'm debating stainless steel to match the tank but I'm wary of galling the threads. Wil you be using a loctite sealant, PTFE tape or parallel thread fittings with a fibe washer?

Regards, Graham

Graham,

Thanks for your reply!

First, I think I know now what the thread is! My father (85 years old now) used to work in de Dutch shipyard industry. At a glance he said: "1/2" 20 UNF, but my eyes aren't as good as they use to be." (Which is an understanding...). He gave me an address to confirm his words. The guys at the address confirmed his words with their gauges.

Sometimes it's good to cross the generation gap. Thanks dad!

On the subject of the new SS. tank: a new(ish) tank is offered overhere in Holland for over 400 euros (VAT ex). The guys at my home town engineering shop will make me a new one for about 200 euros! Okay, it's still a lot of money, but I've not encountered any cheap TR parts yet.

I'll use the original style pipe fittings. I like the look (contrast) between the two materials! For now, the industrial look, so to speak. And, eventually I'll blank the tank off with the cover panels on both sides.

I'll use PFTE tape, or someone most point out on this forum that fuel an PFTE tape don't match.

Regards, Menno