sandblasting chassis

Hi all,

I'm about to have my chassis sandblasted, and I'm worried of the creeping rust inside the box sections, that I can see from every opening (from the rear end for instance). The sanblast will obviously only remove a very small part of it, so what's the use of a newly coated chassis if it continues to rot from the inside ?

Do you consider that some cavity wax is a good-enough protection, and more generally what are your opinion about this, is it a real concern ?

regards

Philippe-

Guest GDalzell

Dear Phillipe,

I'be just had my 3A chassis blasted and promed. Luckliy it was in excellent condition. No-one seems to have a way of blasting the inside. Everyone recommends drilling holes in the inner side of the chassis and spraying Waxoyl or other protectivesinisdie. I gather that Revington does another product which is supposed to be better. With the waxoyl its best to warm the canister prior to spraying it and to do it on a warm day. I'll be using an air compressor with one of those proprietary canisters which screws onto the spray attachement. It might even be worth getting the profassionals to do the waxoyling for you. It won't cost much and they have got the kit.

Tthere are baffles in the chassis and I don't yet know where they are. You'll need holes in between.

By the way, are your turrets square?

Cheers, Graham

from a test in Practical Classic's magazine, it seems that the best performer for dirty & rusted cavities is Dinitrol 3125 ?! But I still don't know the capability of this product to stop any progression on a well rusted area, nor do I guess at which point the chassis sould be considered as structurally weak because of inside creeping rust.

About my turrets, they seem to be quite OK, I'll have the chassis controlled on a jig asap.

cheers

Philippe-