For some reason, one set of my wheel lugs are hard to fit.

I have cleaned the inside of the 4 wheel lugs, as well as the threads on the studs.

I have also tried with lubrication, and without. Still the same. Could I get a 7/16x20 UNF die to clean the threads,

and a tap to touch up the threads inside the wheel lugs, or just buy new studs and lugs?

The wheel studs seem stripped, but they are not. The lug nuts go on hard, then loosen.

Of course, I want it to be safe- maybe I just answered my question right there.

All of the other lug nuts go on hand tight, until they touch the wheel.

How hard is it to replace the studs? Any special tools? I just cleaned and lubricated the trunnion and wheel bearings on that side, which turned out really well.

Sincerely,

George.

DO NOT TOUCH OR CUT THE THREADS on the studs on the hubs. You could try one of the nuts (lugs) from off another wheel but I expect that will be stiff quickly also. If so don't force it, remove and replace it back on the wheel whence it came.

It sounds like a gorilla has been jumping on a breaker bar (or used a "rattle" gun ) on that one wheel when tightening. The thread form is likely "displaced"(that's the cracking sound you get if you jump onto the bar) ie leaning towards the end of the stud and hence is now slightly off the centre line of the thread form.

You should never cut or remove material from a thread, you're likely to introduce a stress point which will cause failure at some stage (not recommended on wheel studs).

Fit new studs and nuts at least on that corner and check to ensure that the condition on all the other studs on the corners is good without any drag marks or cutting marks showing on threads and faces. If you do a search on wheel studs you'll find loads of posts explaining how to fit and remove and varieties of stud lengths available if your wheels aren't standard.

Mick Richards

Thanks for the reply. I do want to be safe, as I've just started autocross.

The other corners fit up just fine.

When removing a wheel, I loosen the lug nuts about 1 or 1 1/2 turns first, then raise the car, and remove them.

On refitting the wheel, I tighten them as much as I can with the wheel in the air, then after it's on the ground, I tighten them the rest of the way.

Am I doing something wrong?

I've been doing that for 42 years now.

(Something that seems so simple, maybe I need to rethink my process.)

George.

Yes, the other "good" lug nuts are tight on those studs also.

Edited by Sparkplug

Sounds like you are tightening up and undoing nuts ok, as posted above suspect the threads are pulled on that corner. Check out the search and follow info for pulling studs and replacing, not difficult and then you know the studs and nuts are right.

Mick Richards