confused steering

Guest TR8 STEVE

Guest TR8 STEVE

Hi Guys,

I hope someone can help i have recently fitted a new sub frame with a cut down SD1 power steering rack. Now all is good except i have 1 and a quarter turns to the right and 1 and 3 quarters to the left, looking at the rack it looks central, with about 3 threads on either side on the track rod ends, so concequently it has a tighter turning circle to the left than the right. Any suggestions would be great. Also can anybody tell me the correct settings for the tracking for this set up as none of the outlets iv been to have a clue.

Thanks Chaps.

Steve.

Steve

You can centre the rack quite easily. first of all check the track rods are the same length & the rod ends are screwed on the same amount at each end. then wind the car to full lock one way and mark or note where the steering wheel sits. Wind to full lock the other way & again note where the steering wheel ends up. work out the midpoint between these two extremes & centre the wheel to this point. ignore the wheel if this does not appear to be central. you can now remove the steering wheel & centre it. Repeat until you are happy.

note when you replace the wheel, you need to ensure the slip ring for the indicator cancelling is located on the peg for the wheel. Also leave the nut for the wheel on a couple of turns when removing the steering wheel then you won't flatten your own nose with it! this way you can get the wheel centred to the rack & the turn radius should be the same both ways. for the tracking I would run as standard. Approx 30' toe in.

Cheers

Andy.

Oops last post wasn't meant to be that brief, work got in the way!

30minutes (0.5deg) is the equivalent of 3mm toe in on a 14" wheel

i currently run that but i am going to try a little more to experiment this week.

Andy

Guest TR8 STEVE

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replys just a quick note Andy you said 3 degrees toe in on a 14 inch rim, does it make a difference with a different size i currently have 225/50/15 inch Minilites, the car is also on 200lb 1 inch lowered springs and gas shocks is fully polly bushed and i also have an anti dive kit fitted. Thanks for the advise guys.

Steve.

Steve

3mm not 3 degrees!

The degrees are absolute, but what does change is the 3mm setting. it is apparent that 3mm toe in on a 13" rim is different to 3mm toe in on a 14" or 15" rim. (By using our schoolboy geometry!) However 0.5deg is always 0.5deg. the reasons i think in degrees for this are that it doesn't matter what size the wheel is & my gauges measure the angle. You can of course measure the 3mm by measuring the length from LH rim to RH rim at the front & back of the wheel then comparing them.

Hope that makes sense

Andy