DVLA - The lights are "ON" and somebody's home

Recently had the TR in for MOT (2nd August 2014) - after being SORN for 6 months (clutch change / gearbox inspection and new gaskets fitted) - passed MOT ok (minor advisory - wiper blades hardening).

Straight after the MOT test I then went to my local post office to apply historic taxation class and hopefully get the relevant tax disc (I had my heritage certificate with me) - but they informed me that they could not process this at their post office and I would need to send off all documentation directly to DVLA, which could take 3 - 4 weeks to process.

Sod it I thought, I want to use the TR now that it's MOT'D , insured - but with no tax, so I decided that I would purchase 6 months licence and during the next month or two - I would then request via DVLA to change class of taxation from PLG to Historic.

Anyway, Sunday evening I suddenly remembered that I still had not got around to sending off my documents to DVLA for change of class, so I sorted out all the relevant paperwork ready for sending off to DVLA, just needed to get an A4 envelope and stamps.

Yesterday (Monday) during lunch break, I got my A4 envelope and book of 1st class stamps, When I arrived home I noticed a brown letter marked from DVLA - which I thought might be for the wife's car tax (due end September).

When I opened this letter I was very surprised to find a letter from DVLA (Central Casework Group) informing me that their records show that I had previously taxed my vehicle as a PLG, and as it was manufactured before 1st January 1974, it should have been taxed in the Historic tax class.

Attached to the letter was a replacement tax disc with 31-07-2015 expiry date - NIL as rate of tax,

The letter also stated that a new V5C will be sent to me shortly, and another attached letter stating "TAX DISC REPLY SLIP" for sending back the original PLG tax disc - which will be fully refunded upon receipt of this disc.

Well what can I say about that for brilliant service, with no input from me, no paperwork sent or cost for postage, and even better - tonight when I got home from work, another item from DVLA - my new V5C showing the new "Historic Vehicle" taxation class.

So maybe DVLA - Central Casework Group, are going through their data base on age of cars registered with them to see who is eligible for Historic Vehicle Class.

Anybody else had this happen to them "automatically".

Pat