Dashboard Instruments

Can anyone tell me what were the standards (if any) for the TR5 dashboard instruments?

I assume that all the gauges were the same, left to right: water temp, oil press, fuel level, charge current (amps).

I have a 270° mechanical oil pressure gauge which I'm sure is not original.

What standard were the bezels? Mine are black, but I've seen chrome bezels which look much smarter.

My tachometer also has yellow and red sectors from 5000 which obscure the lettering. Is this standard, or were there multiple configurations?

Thanks,

Piers.

Piers,as far as I can see there is not much response to your questions. IMHO the TR5 instruments are identical to the early TR6.

This means all Instruments have black bezels,are all Smith with the exeption of the Ammeter (Lucas).

Oil pressure gauge is mechanical connected to the engine via a thin black plastic pipe.Same material as the injector pipes. In addition the pressure warning light is of cause electric with pressure  sensor.

The tacho of my early TR6 has an orange arc between 5000 and 5500 where 5000 is the last indication written on it,after a red arc continues to the end of the scale. For precise information I will have to drop down to the garage tomorrow. Regards - Jean

Jean,

Thanks for replying. Sounds like you have the same instruments as me! I was just checking really to see what variations there might be. I have no idea what one could specify back in 1968 in terms of optional bits, and I wondered whether chrome bezels was one.

I'm not one of those people who believes in originality, as I reckon there are many improvements to be made on Triumph's cost-savings ... and I for one think that chrome bezels are far nicer! To the autojumble ...

I'm also going to attempt my "home made" induction kit soon, so I'll let you know how I get on!

Piers.

• 2 weeks later...

that sounds the same set up as my '70 Tr6 . Being relatively new to this I thought my ammeter was a replacement as it even lights up differently in the dark . Jean , where do you find all these web sites I have used reams of paper & floppies downloading all this stuff many thanks  :D

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Scotty for my late response to your message.I was away for almost 2 weeks in rainy S of France.

Most TR Internet information can be traced via the VTR website links. Many U.S. TR enthusiasts run personal websites with lots of information about the cars. I also have a subscription on the Triumph Team Net where information is exchanged about what is going on in the World of Triumphs. The disadvantage is that I receive about 50 E-mails daily,but you are free to subscribe and unsubscribe at your convenience.

In the mean time I also have a 4 foot pile of TR books and TR Action magazines.

Jean