Washer Mechanism Faulty.

Was driving my 1973 TR6 (CR) home last week when it started to pour. After a few minutes, I operated the windscreen wipe switch and within 10 seconds the washer jets failed and water starting running out of the passenger eyeball vent and another small stream of water under the glove box...small pool on the rubber mat.

I thought that the rainwater had leaked in.

At home, looking under the bonnet in the garage, the water wash bottle seemed suspiciously low. So I refilled it, tried the washer switch and heard the pump work quite vigorously and then a splash coming from under the car on the passenger side. Sure enough almost 1/5th of the entire contents had discharged onto the floor.

I am assuming that where the washer fluid feedpipe exits the bottle and disappears into the bulkhead...well behind that something has come adrift. Trouble is I can't see how you access the pipe..... and I don't want to do exploratory "Pulling apart" blindly hoping I'll find it.

Would much appreciate any thoughts what has happened and how I should properly get access.... ? And what would have caused it.... blocked jets /pressure build up ?

Many thanks if anyone has seen this before and conducted such a repair.

Alex

To access the area concern you need to be a bit of a contortionist!

The passenger side is the easier of the two and requires the removal of the glovebox - once done there is a rectangular plate secured by four set screws (bolt heads?) and mastic. Once removed there is access to the wiper wheel box and the washer tube. The other side requires the removal of the 'inner' main gauge (speedo). Both through the appature and underperformance the dash itself access can be gained to a similar plate. I recently replaced both wiper wheel boxes this way... Not exactly the easiest of jobs!!! Just remember to reveal the plate when it goes back!!!

Good luck

Cheers

Ian