Broken stud removal

A stud in the cylinder head is broken just above the downside windings. Its number two right side, one of the longest studs (24,1 cm). Anyone an idea how to remove the rest part? Allready drilled a hole in it and tried to enter a left turning tap. Had to weld an extension to the tap because of the depth involved, but that broke on applying force.

Any ideas are most welcome......

Greetings, Ruud

Hi Alan, I did see your discussions and had last year the same problem, only with th most forward stud of the exhaust manifold. That was an easy one to extract. My current problem is 3 inch deep in the "tube" in the house. The stud broke just above the thread and can hardly be reached, only from the top down.

Greetings, Ruud

In the past I have drilled a stud out with a copper sleeve around the drill bit to keep it central going up in size untill I used a drill bit 1-2 mm smaller than the outside dimension of the thread.Add thin oil and/or penertraiting oil as you drill.

especialy as you now have the hardened stud removing tool to deal with. Because of this I would use best quality drill bits

you can use a wooden block on the drill bit to stop you drilling too deep. measure this in one of the clear holes.

then screw in a stud to crush the thin remains of the old stud and drill again and the remains came out on the drill.

All the drilling tends to gererate heat which helps the stud break free

good luck

OK, problem is solved. The rest of the stud was drilled out but when we tapped a new thread the tap was broken and stuck solid. It is impossible to dril out that tap. Solution is to tap a new thread higher in the the tube (above the screwed-in tap) and make a new shorter stud.

Thanks for all the comments, greetings, Ruud