Starter motor

Since I had the starter motor out to remove the gearbox I thought I would clean it up a bit and paint it. This is the later type Lucas starter from my 1974. It has a 1 inch diam rubber domed cover over the end of the rear where the spindle protrudes. The end of the spindle gets secured by a washer and one of those one-time use star fastners as used to attach cheap lawn mower wheels.

On removing this domed cover (which is intact but quite hard) I found that the washer/clip and the bit of protruding spindle are all very rusty. Nothing is ready to fall apart but I bet this boot was supposed to be holding in some oil/grease to keep this area lubricated..

The starter was working fine before I removed it.

I wonder how much trouble I am in ?

Stan

I had a good look at it today and despite the corrosion on the bits that stick out I dont detect any play in the shaft so I dont think any major damage has been done despite 30 years of neglect of this particular dark recess. I cleaned it up with a wire brush in the dremel, lubricated it and gave the unit a new coat of paint (POR15). I'll add this to my regular annual check list though in future though along with the pivot pin at the other end.

phew.

Stan