TR3A changes post TS60,000

From Bill Piggots book and some other research I've done, there were some bodywork changes made from TS60,000 onwards, the easily visible ones are the hinges being on raised plinths on the scuttle, bonnet, rear scuttle and boot lid and the rear floor panel (behind the seats) being squared off like a bench.

I am thinking of buying a car thats TS71,000 (L) odd, it was originally US supplied and the bodywork changes don't feature. all paperwok seems in order and this was how it came into the UK for restoration.

Should I be worried?

Is it possible that it left the factory this way?

I guess the panels may have been changed as part of an earlier restoration sometime during the past 45 years or so, but it seems quite a lot both front and rear.

Any views would be appreciated.

TIA, James

Hi James,

These changes occurred at 60,000 odd and whilst it is possible that a car close to that number could have the 'incorrect' features, a car at 71,000 should definitely show the items as described in Bill's book. Explanation could be that it has had a complete shell change for some reason - accident damage, rot perhaps etc. However, the Americans do seem  to have a fair number of cars floating round on wrong papers/ chassis numbers/EB numbers. No real idea why, but they just do. I doubt they are stolen or anything like that. Incidentally, very many years ago I bought in England (and later sold) a TR3a where the chassis no. did not match the later spec. When I referred back to the seller later on he said they bought two cars from a scrapyard and made one out of two. Same in the States perhaps ?

It would be interesting to know the engine number on this car as it should be within about 1000 of the chassis no.

Does it matter ? I cannot say it worries me particularly, but what do you plan to do with the car ? If you are aiming for concours, then no chance. However, if you want a good car to use, then if it is ok to restore,haggle the price down and away you go.

Interesting to see reactions to this 'heresy' from other

people.

All the best with your purchase of a 3a

John S.

I agree with all the points put forward by John S.  I have a friend here in Canada who built one TR3A from two.  The front half is pre-60,000 and the rear is all post-60,000.  It's a very nice car and he loves it.  Unfortunately he only drives it about 1000 miles  a year and he won't take it to the big British Car Day in Stowe Vermont because it's 125 miles one way and he thinks that's too far.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trebor/don3a_big.JPG

TR Register Member since 1987

82,000 miles driven in "TRusty" since 1990

Thanks John and Don for your views, similar to mine, I'm not unduly concerned, but I just wanted to check that I wasn't alone!

The engine has been replaced for a reconditioned one here in the UK, so the numbers don't match.

The car has been restored to a superb condition and is hard to fault. I have ben trying to buy a great condition one for about 6 months, but they are thin on the ground. This is by far the best I have come across, the only drawback is these bodywork discrepancies, but they are not putting me off.

thanks again